Monday, September 11, 2017

What to do about Racist Comments on Campus

I think I should start this post by introducing myself more personably, since most of the time we just jump-start into history and forget to acknowledge our positionality – we forget our biases and merrily pretend that we do not have any or satiate ourselves by reasoning that they do not matter because we are discussing things that happened in the past. Even more, we forget that history is not fact; we forget that it is interpretation; we forget that there are no sterile histories and that we are not sterile individuals creating them.
So to begin, my name is Brad Bierdz. I identify as white; I am heterosexual; and I use he/him pronouns. I grew up in a rich, white suburb outside of Memphis. While I was growing up, my mother purposefully taught outside of the county so that I could go to a white school, and when I came to Rhodes, I was a racist, sexist, and heteronormative individual (and sometimes, I still am). When I read the article posted by Nick Pietrangelo on altright.com, my immediate reaction was not anger or rage or surprise but recognition. Of course, the note was hateful and racist and threatening, but I also saw a student that hadn’t taken the classes I had – a student that hadn’t had the connections or the experiences I had in college. I saw a whitened individual, and one that felt alienated from his surroundings – an individual who recognized his own alienation in his writing. I saw a hurt person lashing out and hurting other people (#hurtpeoplehurtpeople). I saw a person that was raised and molded in our racist, capitalistic, deterministic, and hegemonic society, yet most of us feigned surprise or rather lashed out again in some form of ostensible anti-racist action, asking for this student’s expulsion or his suspension.

As I talked to more and more students, professors, and administrators, it became clear that most people wanted the student expelled, but at the same time, that left me questioning what expulsion would actually do for the college and Nick…. We would expel him, thinking that racism was eradicated from our campus (patting ourselves on the back for doing anti-racist work), and as a result, we would alienate Nick even more from anti-racism and social movements of change. We would silence other white folk on campus, feeling very similar things, and not have those conversations around race that we might have if we had done something different. And ultimately, I was left wondering over our history… the specific history of this institution or, at least, the history of Rhodes for the past four years (the time I’ve been here). I was left thinking about Palmer Hall, Yik Yak, a sock monkey, the extreme whiteness of our campus (our faculty), and the black and brownness of our lower paying positions such as physical plant and Aramark workers. I was left wondering how Rhodes has dealt with racist actions in the past, and I was left wanting. As an institution that, purposefully or not, helps maintain inequality in the Memphis area, that upholds an epic model to capitalism, and that has reaffirmed inequality within and without our cast iron fences, I am not surprised at the extreme lack of anti-racist action on behalf of the administration and the institution as a whole; however, with a new President and with the severity of the racist, sexist, and hateful speech within the letter, I hope that some action will be taken on behalf of the school. But ultimately, we have to question whether expulsion or suspension is the best recourse when our other options are unlimited; we have to question whether expulsion or suspension are options that are lasting and effective, or whether we’re just expelling individuals to feel anti-racist momentarily. We have to love Nick and the rest of our campus; we just have to find the best way to love. Comment on what you think is the best course of action. (or if you want, you can comment on whatever).

Word count: 640

Thanks,
Brad Bierdz

7 comments:

  1. I think your point about choosing love versus hate and exclusion is important, especially when taking the moral highroad. There is no true victory if it is one by ignoring and excluding those who run counter to your beliefs, but the victory must be through education and true change. That being said, there needs to be an open dialogue for this type of change to occur. Far too often, I think that we are too willing to dismiss hateful views as crazy, then other and ostracize them. However, often extremist views are not open to change and discussion because they can be absolute in nature. I think that despite this, we need to continue to press forward with positivity, love, and acceptance. The best way to combat hate, I think, is to drown it out with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brad!

    A little on myself so I am not just a floating name in cyber space. My name is Rachel Farley. I am white; I am heterosexual; and I use she/her pronouns. I was born in London, grew up in the suburbs of Chicago (they reflect the suburbs of Memphis), and my mom is Australian. (My question for you is in the last paragraph if you are pressed on time).

    My ancestor arrived in Australia as a British prisoner in the late 18th century. He was one of the first prisoners pardoned and made his life in Australia. Over 200 years later my mom became the first in her family to go to college and the first to leave Australia.

    I have grabbled with knowing that my family was more likely than not involved with the mistreatment of aboriginal people. This class has reminded me that history is not singular and there are many things going on. My ancestor landed as an unfree person in a foreign country in the late 1700s. During this same time Africans were being taken from Africa and enslaved in America. However their experiences were completely different.

    My ancestors status quickly changed to free and he, among others, went on to take over Australia. They always had the privilege of being white. This is a part of my history.

    My question for you- We are both interested in history and willing to engage in uncomfortable truths about our own history and position in society. How do you educate someone who is not willing to engage in conversation or take classes such as this class? I don’t think we can ‘love’ Nick and love the rest of this campus. Protecting Nick leaves many people unprotected.

    Word Count 290

    Thanks,
    Rachel Farley

    Ps thanks for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel!

      I am really glad that you commented your question to the idea that Brad proposed! I was thinking about Brad's statement that we "have to love Nick and the rest of our campus," and wondered what exactly that would look like as well. I agree that it is difficult to fathom coming alongside Nick as well as our other peers, friends, roommates, classmates, professors, et cetera who were personally hurt by the things he wrote and our own personal morals/beliefs that do not align with what his seem to be. I also agree that loving him would not look like protecting the things he said in any way. So how would we love him? I believe there has to be a way we can, he is in fact still a human and as such warrants that love, even if we cannot respect his ideals. Could that possibly mean finding a way to know him and why he would even believe the things he does? I personally don’t know why, I don’t know him at all. Goodness, I’m even less certain if I would have the courage to confront him in a firm but civil, conversational way about the things he has said, I only know him as the tags we all have placed on him. Do you think that it’s possible to love him in that kind of way? Or is there a point, do you think, when someone has forfeited civility? I honestly don’t have answers right now to the questions I’ve posed, so if you do, I’d love to know what you (and anyone else) think!

      Thank you so much!

      Katie Imperial

      Delete
    2. In this situation, I think all we can do is love someone. (Now, how to do that?) Whoever Nick is, we have to continuously try to meet him on his plane of existence, which is a whitened state (a place where people of color are threats to his existence, a place where difference is harmful and scary). Not to long ago, I was in this place of white protectionisms, and all we can do, that is, if we're up for it is to have these conversations around race, but starting where he is and not where we are individually (which is a common mistake). We can't have conversations with him about intersectionality or even white fragility. We have to have conversations about inequality in Memphis, what that stems from, how it exists today, and how we, as individuals affect it. If we are to love him, we have to get him to a place where he is not individually threatened by racial discourse and where he can understand other people's experiences outside of his per view.

      I’m not an expert, but that’s where I’d start.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate that you acknowledge how various experiences and social dispositions lead us to hold certain views, and that you shared a bit about yourself in doing so. While I certainly agree that posts like Nick’s should be used as opportunities to open up important dialogue about race and social justice at large, I also think it takes privilege to say that we should allow someone so threatening and overtly hateful toward various groups to remain on this campus—many people (especially minority groups, of course) feel attacked and at risk. While I do not know Nick’s intentions behind writing that post, I highly doubt he actually wanted to engage in important and difficult discourse with others (he made his views on diversity and inclusion VERY clear.) It would not be right to assume that minority groups would/should feel comfortable or safe engaging in “civil discourse” with him. However, I don’t think the college’s sole move should be expulsion. We have to recognize that while not that many people at Rhodes hold such extreme and blatant views, Nick’s words probably resonated with a good portion of the student body. It is incredibly important to recognize that white supremacist views and racist values manifest themselves in many other ways on this campus. We should use this time to open up an honest racial discourse, and provide students with spaces to do so. These spaces would hopefully draw in people who don’t usually engage in such conversation, but who have a genuine desire to better understand others and the world around them, and haven’t quite found a space to express their concerns, beliefs and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still, the challenge is not providing these spaces for discourse to happen (since we do this however nominally already) but providing a space for which people would want to inhabit and take up space. For instance, people who hold supremacist or bigoted views don't want to go to anti-racist conversations. As individuals, however, (hopefully as anti-racist individuals) we have to push to have these conversations with people around campus: at parties, in study rooms, in classes, on the lawns, everywhere.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate that you acknowledge your past and own up to it as a native Memphian I can assure to you you are one of the few that have the courage to do that. When the article was first brought to my attention in one of my classes I can say I was not shocked at all as black man. In my 19 years on this Earth I have heard and been a victim of numerous acts of racist activity. As far as what I thought should have happened and how this should be handled in the future is a tough one to answer. I can tell you if all of that hate is truly instilled no sensitivity training or suspension is going to change that. We can only hope that we can continue to have these conversations that can an at times isolate a certain group of people in order to enlighten others of issues that people different than one's self goes through. The more we have the discussion the more enlightened campus we will become.

    ReplyDelete